The film follows the journey of two people – Chaitra, a medico searching for the right man to save herself and her wealth from her guardians and Raj, a betting fetish who is desperate to earn money to save his adopted father from death. Raj accepts a challenge by Chaitra’s friend James to make her fall in love with Raj who later realizes her ploy and the connection of her guardians with their parents’ death.
Raju (Ram Charan) is a Hyderabad-based betting fetish living with his adopted parents who support his means of living. Tragedy strikes the family in the form of his father (M. S. Narayana) who is diagnosed with cirrhosis as a result of heavy drinking. Raju needs INR2 million for his father’s liver transplantation, which must be done within a month. As he is on the lookout for money, he is approached by James (Ajmal Ameer), his rival in betting, with a betting challenge. James dares Raju to make Chaitra (Tamannaah), a medico and the daughter of a dreaded and influential businessman Bellary (Mukesh Rishi) to fall in love with him. If he is able to complete the task before 31 December 2011, James will give him the money needed for his father’s operation and if not, Raju has to give up betting forever.
Desperate for the money, Raju takes up the challenge and begins wooing Chaitra. Initially, she appears to spurn his advances and sets him even tougher challenges to propose her. Raju successfully overcomes all these challenges and Chaitra soon reciprocates his advances. Bellary finds out about this relationship and sends his henchmen to kill the couple on the night of 31 December. Raju and Chaitra escape to Srisailam from the henchmen. Bellary, with the help of his corrupt minister-friend Baireddanna (Kota Srinivasa Rao) and the latter’s Dubai-based son (Dev Gill), begins a search for them. At Srisailam, James rescues the couple from their henchmen and gets stabbed by Baireddanna’s son who also kidnaps Chaitra. Raju learns about his past because of James.
Raju’s father Suryanarayana (R. Parthiepan) was a respected man in Rayadurg and his best friend, a rich man named Ramamurthy (Nassar), was Chaitra’s father. Chaitra and Raju were childhood friends. Ramamurthy’s brother-in-law Bellary found out about the presence of iron ore under Ramamurthy’s land and along with Baireddanna, he decided to exploit the ore for their sinister purposes. When Suryanarayana and Ramamurthy objected to this, they and their families were killed by Bellary and Baireddanna, except Raju and Chaitra. Chaitra was adopted by Bellary who planned to kill her when she attains an age of 21 so that he could acquire Ramamurthy’s land. Chaitra, who already knew about Raju’s betting nature, told her childhood friend James to trap Raju by placing a bet so that Bellary and Baireddanna can be destroyed using him. Raju decides to avenge his father’s death and kills Bellary, Baireddanna and his son at Rayadurg. He rescues Chaitra and distributes Ramamurthy’s land to the villagers after marrying her.
- Ram Charan as Raju, a Hyderabadi betting fetish. He is often referred as Betting Raj because of his obsession for betting. He lost his parents in his childhood and lives with his adopted parents.
- Tamannaah as Chaitra, a medico living with her guardian Bellary and his family. She is treated by Bellary as his elder daughter only to be killed once she attains the age of 21. Knowing this, she traps Raju to save her from them and falls in love with him later.
- Ajmal Ameer as James, Chaitra’s childhood friend. He pretends to be Raju’s rival only to trap him and helps him in saving his adopted father who is operated because of cirrhosis. He also helps Raju in knowing about his past.
- Mukesh Rishi as Bellary, Chaitra’s uncle who adopts her only to kill her when she attains the age of 21. He is a cruel, dreaded and influential businessman and is friends with Baireddanna.
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Baireddanna, a central minister who is Bellary’s partner-in-crime.